Have you ever been told that you can’t take vitamin supplements with your medications or that you really need to be careful when doing so? You certainly do need to exercise caution because the combination of vitamins and prescription medication can cause a myriad of problems, but vitamin supplements CAN be beneficial with prescription medications IF you take the right combination. Let’s take a look at a few examples of a potent and beneficial combination of medication and vitamins.
- Antidepressants, such as Zoloft and Lexapro, are well-paired with the B vitamins, particularly vitamins B6 and B12.
- People taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes will do well to take vitamin B12 and fish oil.
- When taking antibiotics, such as Amoxicillin or Ampicillin, taking probiotics is beneficial to restore good gut flora.
- When taking medications to treat osteoporosis, such as Fosamax or Boniva, taking supplements of vitamin D and calcium will help maintain healthy bone structure.
- When taking oral contraceptives, such as Ortho Tri Cyclen or Yasmin, it is beneficial to take vitamin C.
You can purchase vitamins from online pharmacies, just as you can purchase prescription medications online. You will be able to find them for a lower price in an online pharmacy, allowing you to save money. Just be sure to treat your vitamin supplements with the same respect you would use for your prescription medications. Make sure you are ordering from a legitimate and reputable online pharmacy that has a licensed pharmacist. And remember, purchasing vitamins is not the same as buying generic ibuprofen ($16.00 for 100 400mg tablets) instead of the brand name Advil ($26.00 for 100 400mg tablets), which offer the same pain-fighting power either way.
Expensive vitamins can be of poor quality and brand names can offer the same benefit as generic vitamins. The key is to choose a pharmacy that has a high turnover rate in terms of vitamin sales because vitamins lose their potency when they sit on the shelf for too long. Always check the expiry date before you purchase your vitamins, and once you have them in your home, never take more than you need.
Keep Your Physician in the Loop
As surprising as it might seem, the most important thing to take away with you right now is not the fact that you can take vitamin supplements with the right prescription medications or that you can find vitamin supplements for a lower price in online pharmacies. The most important thing for you to remember is to discuss the situation with your physician if you are planning on taking any vitamin supplements along with your medications. You want to be sure that you are taking the proper combination of medications and vitamins and you will want your doctor to monitor your health every step of the way. Otherwise, you could be undermining the benefits of both your medication and the vitamins and you could be putting your health in jeopardy.335