Subway’s 50% Faux-Chicken Fraud
There is a bit of both disturbing but not surprising news circling the internet about the chicken contained in Subway’s famous sandwiches. According to a story on Fox News, a new story leaked, revealing that Subway’s version of chicken only contains 50 percent real chicken DNA. Compared to rival fast-food places like McDonald’s and Wendy’s, Subway had even lower quality chicken. Shockingly enough, both McDonald’s and Wendy’s falls short of 100 percent purity threshold for chicken that you might find in the grocery store.
Trent University and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), is the responsible party for this detailed study about Subway’s faux-chicken mystery. According to their DNA study, the fast food chain’s chicken contains a soy filler which is one of the reasons that the purity is at such a low level. However, this information doesn’t explain such a high level of adulteration. We’ve all been fooled.
Like all fast food places, Subway was hasty to deny the study findings. Unfortunately, their response has put the blame on a certain supplier, hoping to make this supplier the scapegoat. For Subway, they could take the more ethical option of conceding to the allegations and admit that what they call “chicken” is a highly processed fraud.
Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me
This isn’t the first time that Subway has been the highlight of some very suspect ingredients in their food. In fact, 2014 revealed that some of the so-called “healthy” sandwiches contained azodicarbonamide in the bread. This chemical is more commonly found in yoga mats and was removed from Subway’s ingredients list after the public outcry.
If Subway decided to address the fraudulent chicken study, you should not let them fool you into thinking that anything they sell can even be considered part of a healthy diet. The vast number of unpronounceable ingredients in their sandwiches is staggering. What should be simple sandwich ingredients is, in fact, full of highly-manufactured synthetic ingredients and artificial fillers.
This fast food restaurant doesn’t make an effort to high the foundation of their sandwiches which is the high processed meats and more. The meats in their sandwiches are loaded with preservatives, artificial flavors, colorings, and nitrates. It’s hard to believe that they continue to market their sandwiches are fresh and healthy options.
If you still insist on eating a sub sandwich like these, you should choose to make one at home only using vegetables and meats raised sustainably. Bread is not something I recommend, but if you think you need bread, you should choose a bread option that only has four or five ingredients. Subway’s 9-Grain Wheat bread contains almost 50 different ingredients. It’s no wonder that these sandwiches aren’t a healthy option.
With all of the information out there, it’s hard to understand how food restaurants are still attractive to customers, especially with all of the cutting edge dietary information so easy to obtain. It’s a little time-consuming, but preparing your meals at home provides immense health benefits that you can’t get at fast food places. Here’s a good rule of thumb: pay the farmer now or pay the doctor later.
We’ve mentioned it before, but Subway isn’t the only restaurant that has products full of additives and fillers.
Here are three more fast food restaurants that put these harmful ingredients inside of their food.
- Bleached flour comes about by manufacturers using a significant amount of chemicals on wheat through a process that eventually strips the wheat of all nutrients found in the grains. Unfortunately, the bleaching and milling processes give flour the same contents nutritionally as sugar, and these processes produce a certain toxin called alloxan, used by different researchers to produce diabetes in animals. This toxin is used to help find study treatments for the disease, which explains the toxin’s effect on blood sugar levels. For us, eating this toxin can promote different health concerns including diabetes.
- Soybean oil is typically too unstable for food manufacturing, so it’s partially hydrogenated to be used in fast food. The cheap oil is a trans fat which is known to clog arteries, increasing your chances of having a heart attack because it raises cholesterol.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is present in any product with a sweet taste—salad dressing, buns, and dessert. HFCS causes many different problems such as unwanted calories, obesity, and even type 2 diabetes. Mercury is a deadly metal when in high doses, and it has been found in HFCS often as a side effect of the harsh processing methods.
- An additive in Taco Bell’s products—such as their beef, rice seasoning, cheese sauce, and southwest chicken—is called Maltodextrin. The Glycemic index lists this additive high on its list, meaning it is high in carbohydrates. Consuming this additive puts your blood sugar at a high risk for diabetes or insulin resistance.
- Cottonseed Oil, cheap oil, is used in Taco Bell’s tortillas, churros, and taco shells. Raising cholesterol, this oil is considered a mild inflammatory, and it contains certain high quantities of pesticide because cotton is not a food plant. Cottonseed oil in large amounts of consumption can be more dangerous for your body than it is for the pests. Why? Well, cottonseed oil inflames and clogs both your arteries and blood vessels, making it harder for your heart to pump blood. This added stress on your heart can eventually lead to heart attacks or other heart issues.
- MSG, Monosodium Glutamate, is found in KFC’s infamous chicken pot pie a total of 22 times. People who have an MSG sensitivity can experience headaches, the pressure in the mouth, chest tightness, weakness, heart palpitations, mood changes, burning sensations, and weird dreams. Just to make things even worse, MSG is responsible for high blood pressure.
- Liquid Margarine is an additive in the chicken pot pies, but it can cause extreme implications on your heart. A product of different hydrogenated oils similar to canola and soybean, margarine has been one of the multiple causes of trans fat-induced heart disease deaths. Margarine decreases the levels of good cholesterol in the body while also increasing bad cholesterol which causes the heart to work harder to pump blood to your entire body.
- A highly chlorinated sugar, Sucralose removes good gut bacteria leading to a myriad of problems. Since your body can’t digest this sugar, it boosts the level of nitrogen in your stomach, can cause diarrhea and increases the amount of water in your colon. This sugar is more commonly found in KFC’s Hawaiian bun, but it is also found in many other processed foods. KFC also has a significant amount of chemicals in their bread such as calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, and ammonium sulfate just to name a few.
Fast food, highly processed, is highly produced without any concern for our health, and yet, we consume them far too often. The processed food is made to be distributed quickly and in high quantities. We should take care to limit our initial intake of these so-called ingredients because they work to deteriorate our bodies. It might even be smart to remove them completely from your diet.
Please SHARE this alarming news with your friends and family.