When many people think about smartphones, they think about all of the ways that they negatively impact our lives. Smartphones keep people distracted from the things that are really important. They also take away from the time that we could be spending time with our family members and friends.
However, smartphones have many benefits, and they can actually save a life. The iPhone has a feature that makes it easier for healthcare providers to treat patients during a life-threatening emergency. It is called a Medical ID feature, and it is automatically built in to your iPhone.
As an ER nurse, Julia Thompson has talked about the importance of the medical ID feature on her Facebook page.
Julia says: “Working as a doctor in a public hospital and seeing patients in ED all the time I see many patients come in and we have had no way of knowing who they are or how to contact their next of kin or their medical history! And their phones are locked!”
Many people don’t know how easy it is to set up a Medical ID on their phone. In fact, some do not even know that they have this feature on their phone. The beauty of this feature is even if the phone is locked, you can access important information which includes:
- Emergency contacts
- Medical conditions
- Your date of birth
- Donor status
- Blood type
You can even add additional health notes like:
- Medical notes
- Medical conditions
- Allergies and drug reactions
- Current medications you are taking
How to Set Up Your Medical ID
Even if you have an Android device, you can use a similar feature. It is called ICE, which stands for in case of an emergency. There are a few simple things that you will need to do in order to use the feature on your iPhone:
- The first thing that you will need to do is turn on the iPhone.
- You will then need to find the Health app.
- After you have opened the app, you will need to tap on Medical ID > Edit.
- You will then need to fill in your emergency contacts and health information like your birth date, height, and blood type.
- Make sure that you turn on the “Show When Locked” feature; see screenshot below. This is an essential function because this allows people to access the information even when the phone is locked.
- You can also register to be an organ donor at this time.
- After you are finished putting the information in your phone simply select “Done”.
Now medical professionals will be able to see this information as soon as you turn on your phone. It will be located at the bottom of the screen.
The information in your phone, such as your age, blood type, medical conditions, emergency contacts, medications, special doctor’s notes can save your life.
The more information your medical provider has about you, the easier it will be for them to treat you. That is why you should take full advantage of this free built-in Apple Health app. This is not something that you will want to put off until later.
If you need more guidance then watch this helpful video below for step-by-step set up instructions…
How to Set Up a Medical ID on your iPhone (In Case of Emergency)
Was this helpful? Then please SHARE this “life saving” Medical ID tip with all your Facebook friends and family!