With everyone talking about the Epipen price increase, few seem to be addressing a solution to this Epipen epidemic, until now…The price of #EpiPen and other #medications continue to rise. Here’s how to afford EpiPens, now that they’re $600. #DrugPrices #SaveMoney #PatientsFirst #DrugImportation Click To Tweet
Here’s How To Afford EpiPens Now That They’re $600
If you don’t mind using an alternative an easy solution is to find a lower priced alternatives, such as:
- Adrenaclick – this drug has 0.3 mg per dose for the adults and 0.15 mg per dose for the children, contents that are similar to those of EpiPen. This makes Adrenaclick a perfect alternative.
- Epinephrine (an authorized generic) – this drug has similar contents to EpiPen and Adrenaclick, including 0.3 mg per dose for adults and 0.15 mg dose for children.
*While you may have heard of the Auvi-Q alternative, you should NOT use this alternative because the drug was recently recalled from the US market in 2015.
What If I Want to Keep Using EpiPen?
If you would like to continue using the EpiPen medication, you may need to look for affordable sources.
As a response to the many price complaints, Mylan—the manufacturer of EpiPen is offering several ways to ease the burden for its customers.
For instance, the company is now offering a co-pay card to help EpiPen users save money on their purchases. With this card, users can save up to $100 on each purchase.
The company has promised better plan by allowing the users to save up to about $300 for each EpiPen fill.
Alternatively, you can purchase the product directly from the manufacture and save money.
The company is also planning to increase the number of patients under its financial assistance program.
If you happen to be included in the program, you could save more on your EpiPen refills.
What Is the Most Affordable Solution for Epipen?
Since the recent EpiPen price hike many Americans are turning to Canada for cheaper EpiPens.
You can use eDrugSearch.com to safely compare EpiPen prices from licensed Canadian pharmacies that will ship you the exact same life-saving allergy antidote syringe for $89 vs $600 or more in the U.S. — that’s an 85% savings!
How Do I Order EpiPen from a Canadian Pharmacy?
First go to eDrugSearch.com.
Next, find the search box and type in “EpiPen“. From there, compare the results to find the price you are willing to pay along with how many EpiPen injectors you want to purchase.
Click the “Buy Now” button to be redirected to the licensed Canadian pharmacy.
Using a Canadian pharmacy is quick and painless—we have the process down to a science.
All you have to do is purchase the medication on their website and they will contact you later that day via email and ask you to scan and email your original prescription back to them.
Once that’s complete you can expect to receive your EpiPen within 2-3 weeks.
What Is Epipen Used For?
The Epipen medication is used by people with severe allergic reactions also referred to as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis may present itself in several ways; some of its symptoms include:
- Skin symptoms – About 90 percent of the anaphylaxis patients show skin symptoms like flushing (redness), hives, swelling around the eyes and swollen tongue or lips.
- Breathing symptoms – Breathing symptoms have been reported in about 70 percent of anaphylaxis cases and include change in voice, chocking/sensational closing of the throat, wheezing/cough and shortness of breath.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms – These include vomiting, nausea, crampy abdominal pain and diarrhea. Such symptoms will reveal themselves in about 45 percent of anaphylaxis patients.
- Cardiovascular symptoms – Anaphylaxis patients have only a 45 percent chance of developing cardiovascular symptoms, such as dizziness, near-fainting or fainting, low blood pressure and fast heart rate.
How Do Epinephrine Pens Help?
Epinephrine works by reversing anaphylaxis symptoms.
To achieve this, the medication triggers an increase in blood pressure.
However, it does not cause blood vessels to constrict. Additionally, epinephrine reduces swelling and causes airways to open up.
Which of These Pens Should I Use?
Since the two pens have the same epinephrine content, the choice between EpiPen and Adrenaclick may be made on the basis of the cost.
In this regard, the cheaper option is better. Basically, the price of auto injectors will range between $450 and $700.
In some cases, it is possible to get the generic epinephrine pen discounted rates. In such cases, the pen may cost as low as $150.
You may also take advantage of your insurance cover and pay less for epinephrine pens.
Most insurance covers today classify epinephrine pens as Tier 1 generic drugs.
In cases where Adrenaclick and EpiPen pens are classified as Tier 2 drugs, they will attract higher co-pay.
The EpiPen, Adrenaclick and epinephrine auto injector pens may be used to achieve same results.
However, the different pens do not work the same way.
As such, switching from one auto injector brand to another requires you to plan ahead.
For detailed information on each of the pens, you may visit their manufacturer websites.
Please SHARE these affordable EpiPen solutions on social media!
Which of these Affordable EpiPen options will you try first?
Tell us in the comments section below or take our short EpiPen quiz.