Almost everyone would agree that having an achy throat or losing sleep from coughing all night is an extreme nuisance. Coughing is caused by throat irritation or a build up of mucus in the bronchial tubes.
While typical cough medications carry a rang of potential side effects, there is a safe, natural home remedy, known as the honey wrap, that works as a possible alternative.
What is a Honey Wrap?
The honey wrap is a special combination of raw honey, high quality coconut oil, and flour that is applied to an adult’s chest overnight to assist in calming any symptoms. This natural, safe alternative to regular cough medication is also affordable and easy to make.
Side Effects & Warnings of Cough Syrup
Codeine and dextromethorphan are standard pharmaceutical choices for treating symptoms involved with sore throats and coughs. Although typically effective, these options present a wide range of side effects as seen below.
Codeine, an opioid pain reliever, is a common ingredient in over-the-counter cough syrups. Possible side effects include:
- Fatigue, drowsiness, sedation
- Especially dangerous if consumed along with alcohol or certain medications
A popular cough suppressant, dextromethorphan works by calming the nerve signals that tell the brain to initiate lung spasms in order to expel mucus and irritants from the throat by coughing. Potential side effects include:
- Upset stomach, dizziness, and confusion
- Interacts negatively, and possibly fatally, with a host of different medications
- High doses can cause serious, even fatal liver damage, as well as cardiovascular damage
Beneficial Ingredients in the Honey Wrap
- Coconut Oil, packed with lauric acid, assists the body in dissolving the protective layer around certain viruses therefore allowing the immune system to destroy them. It is crucial to use high quality, extra virgin coconut oil for optimal results.
- Raw Honey has been consumed medicinally for thousands of years, including as a treatment for sore throats and persistent coughs. In the honey wrap, honey is applied topically rather than taken internally, allowing it to be absorbed in order to help reduce mucus in the lungs. Raw, organic honey is necessary as processed honey will not produce the same effects since it is stripped of its powerful compounds during heavy processing.
How to Make a Honey Wrap
To make your own honey wrap for naturally treating sore throats and coughing, follow the recipe below:
Ingredients and Materials Needed:
- Medical Tape
- Thick napkins or a cloth
- Unprocessed coconut oil
- Organic, high quality, raw honey
To make the honey wrap, begin by combining a teaspoon of flour with a small amount of the raw honey along with a bit of melted coconut oil. Soak a napkin or cloth in the mixture and secure to an adult’s chest with adhesive medical tape overnight (the solution can be used on children for 2 to 3 hours at a time). Repeat as needed but be sure to contact your doctor if your cough continues longer than a few weeks.
Be sure to test this honey wrap treatment out for yourself the next time you or a family member is suffering from an achy throat or a persistent cough. By using this natural, holistic remedy, you avoid the pitfalls of over the counter medications and instead enjoy a safe, effective, affordable alternative. Let us know how the honey wrap works for you or if you have any holistic cough remedies you would like to share.
Was this helpful to you? Tell us why, when you SHARE it on social media!