Mosquitos are the worst. A pleasant backyard barbecue can be ruined by the little bloodsuckers. When mosquitos are around, you’re too busy swatting at the bugs to enjoy food and conversation.
The worst part is that they can carry serious viruses like Zika. Some people are even allergic to mosquitos, making their bites more than just annoying.This is why my Dad burns #CoffeeGrounds in his backyard: #HomeRemedies #NaturalRemedies #Coffee #DIY #LifeHack Click To Tweet
As awful as mosquitos are, most repellants on the market are also pretty awful. If you spend a lot of time outside during mosquito season, you can spend a ton of money buying these sprays. Even worse than the cost is the fact that they can be bad for your health.
As unlikely as it sounds, the solution is coffee grounds! According to the EPA, coffee grounds are a safe and effective way to keep pests away. Coffee grounds can help repel not only mosquitos but also other annoying insects like wasps and bees.
Why are coffee grounds effective? Most bugs have a very strong sense of smell. Coffee grounds have a strong smell but it’s even stronger when they are burned.
This smell will bother the pests and keep them away. Insects also generally associate smoke with danger, so the smoke alone is a signal to them to find shelter elsewhere.
How to Burn Coffee Grounds for Mosquito Control
- Start with dry grounds. If you are using used grounds, put them in a bowl covered with foil and leave it in a cool, dark place until the grounds are completely dry.
- Place the grounds either in a bowl or on a flat surface (like a piece of aluminum foil) outside.
- Burn the grounds like you would burn incense.
- Choose a spot upwind of your location for best results.
- For an extra dose of repellent, add fresh bay leaves to the fire.
- For an outdoor event, you might want to set up several of these burning stations surrounding the area of the gathering
Using coffee grounds to keep mosquitos away is the best mosquito repellent. It’s extremely cheap, especially if you’re already a coffee drinker and have grounds on hand. It’s incredibly easy to do. It’s entirely natural and much safer than any commercial product.
Most importantly, it’s extremely effective! Here are some other ways you can get rid of mosquitoes naturally.
Want to See This Trick in Action? Watch the Video Below!
Was this helpful to you? Tell us why, when you SHARE it on Facebook!