Cell phones have become an important part of most people’s lives. We don’t go anywhere without it.
We panic the moment we can’t find it. We always make sure that it is recharged the moment the battery gets low. We are always checking it for different updates.
Most of us are more attached to our cell phone than we would like to admit. After all, for most people, cell phones have become an extension to our body, like another hand or ear.
However, they could be the cause of exposing us to cancer-inducing radiation.
Electromagnetic Radiation from Cell Phones
Ionizng and non-ionizing are the two types of electromagnetic radiation. Cell phones give off a form of non-ionizing radiation.
This radiation is what allows WiFi connections and wireless phone calls to occur. While making a call, this radiation is increased.
However, you will still be exposed long after the call has ended. Back in 2009, there was a study conducted on 150 men that wore their phones attached to their belts for prolonged periods of time.
In these men, scientists found that the bone mineral density of their pelvic bone had decreased on the side that they carried their phone on.
In another case, there was a woman who got multi-focal breast cancer. This was strange because she had no predisposition for cancer. Although this is still possible, her doctors noticed a strange pattern in her cancerous cells.
Looking at them closer, they realized they were the outlined shape of her cellphone. This was strange to them. However, the woman explained that she often carried her phone in her bra. So, they could connect these dots from her cell phone to her cancerous cells.
Due to these findings, a group of 190 independent scientists from 39 countries have made appeals made to the United Nations. They expressed concerns about their research findings. To combat these findings, they requested measures to protect against EMF, electromagnetic field exposure.
The 10 Worst Cell Phones
After this, the FCC created a new set of guidelines for all cellphones that are sold in the United States. These guidelines help to measure radiation in tissue, using SAR, Specific Absorption Rate.
These guidelines stated that for a cell phone to be legal the maximum radiation should be 1.6 watts of energy absorbed per kilogram of body mass. It is based off the thermal effects from phone radiation.
The following phones have come dangerously close to reaching the 1.6 maximum limit:
- Motorola Droid Maxx – SAR level 1.54
- Motorola Droid Ultra – SAR level 1.54
- Motorola Moto E – SAR level 1.5
- Alcatel One Touch Evolve – SAR level 1.49
- Huawei Vitria – SAR level 1.49
- Kyocera Hydro Edge – SAR level 1.48
- Samsung Galaxy S5 – SAR level 1.47
- Kyocera Kona – SAR level 1.45
- Kyocera Hydro XTRM – SAR level 1.44
- BlackBerry Z10 – SAR level 1.42
- BlackBerry Z30, ZTE Souce, & ZTE Warp 4G – SAR level 1.41
Due to their popularity, we listed the SAR levels for the Apple iPhone & Samsung Galaxy S
|Model||SAR level||Model||SAR level||Model||SAR level|
|Apple iPhone 6 Plus||1.16||Apple iPhone 4S||1.19||Samsung Galaxy S6||1.25|
|Apple iPhone 6||1.14||Apple iPhone 4 (GSM)||1.11||Samsung Galaxy S5||1.47|
|Apple iPhone 5||1.18||Apple iPhone 4 (CDMA)||0.87||Samsung Galaxy S4||1.18|
|Apple iPhone 5c||1.18||Apple iPhone 3GS||0.67||Samsung Galaxy S3||0.82|
*You can find the SAR level for any cell phone using the FCC database by simply typing the FCC ID number of your cell phone in the FCC ID search form: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
In 2019, acclaimed (Pulitzer Prize) reporter, Sam Roe of the Chicago Tribune tested many more newer cellphone models and now the FCC is investigating their findings.
In order to reduce exposure, Apple suggests using “a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, the supplied headphones, bluetooth headphones, or other similar accessories.”
Sam Roe of the Chicago Tribune states:
For some past models, Apple gives additional advice. Apple’s website tells users of the iPhone 4 and 4s: “Carry iPhone at least 10mm away from your body to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the as-tested levels.” The site says those phones were tested at a distance of 10 millimeters.
When Apple submitted its application to the FCC to market the iPhone 7, the company included a similarly worded radiation statement, suggesting users carry the device at least 5 millimeters from the body, records show.
Protecting Yourself from Cell Phone Radiation
There are a few precautions you can take to protect yourself from radiation. Some of them are listed below:
- Make sure your phone is not on the harmful list. Using them will expose you to more radiation than other brands.
- New cell phones are always coming out so be sure to check the SAR level with the FCC database before you buy a new cell phone.
- Reduce your usage. When you are not using your phone, turn it off to keep it from sending out unnecessary radiation.
- Purchase shielded headsets or speakers to use with your phone.
- Carry your phone somewhere besides next to your body. For instance, you should avoid using belt clips, in your bra, or in your pocket.
- When using your phone, keep it at least six inches from your body. This will help to stay away from the most dangerous radiation.
- Avoid using your phone when you don’t have a good signal. When your signal is bad, it forces your phone to work harder. This releases even more radiation that can penetrate your body deeper.
- Avoid letting your children use cell phones. They are more susceptible to radiation, and it can cause them to have a lot of problems.
Cell phones have become a large part of everyday life to give them up completely. However, it is important to use them wisely.
It is important to protect you and your family from cancer by eating healthier and promoting healthier habits.
Plus, it is a good idea to set boundaries on using cell phones, especially if they give our higher amounts of radiation.
Here’s How You Can Measure How Much Radiation Your Cellphone Is Emitting