Heredity or the aging process are the obvious candidates for blame when someone begins losing hair. Other factors attributed to this issue might be stress, illness, surgery, child birth, chronic iron deficiency, thyroid disorder and a questionable diet with protein and caloric restriction. However, prescription medications that can cause hair loss often turn out to be the reason.
11 Medications That Can Cause Hair Loss
- Blood pressure medications are ACE Inhibitors and include Lisinopril or Captopril.
- Atrial fibrillation patients or with other arrhythmias take Amiodarone (otherwise known as Pacerone or Cordarone), this pretty rare and doesn’t occur all too often.
- Statin drugs that like Simvastin (Zocor) or Atorvastatin (Lipitor) help lower cholesterol.
- Other medications that can cause hair loss include Cimetidine (better known as Tagamet), which is used to treat both acid reflux disease and ulcers.
- Regularly used blood thinners like Coumadin or Warfarin are anticoagulants that have seen instances of hair loss.
- Another drug which is generally okay to use is Colchicine, which helps address the onset of acute attacks of Gout.
- An oral antifungal pill like Ketoconazole helps treat cases of such things as athlete’s foot or a yeast infection, but some users have had problems with loss of hair.
- Those with migraine headaches, seizures or have had episodes related to dealing with bipolar disorders take Valproate (also known as Depakote).
- Soriatane (better known as Acitretin) treats psoriasis, but the issue of hair loss is one that’s long been an issue.
- Those with severe acne use Isotretinoin (known as Accutane or Absorica), but must deal with side effects.
- Hormone products like Testosterone or Progesterone are medications that can cause hair loss, with Prometrium or Provera tablets or Depo-Provera injections the cause in the latter usage.
Looking to Save Money?
If you are fed up with high medication costs use eDrugSearch.com to safely compare prescription drug prices from licensed Canadian pharmacies so that you can save between 50-90 percent off all your medication costs, guaranteed!